Meezan Tahaffuz Pension Fund is the largest Shariah Compliant Voluntary Pension Scheme which is constituted under the VPS Rules, 2005. MTPF is a tax efficient long-term retirement savings scheme which helps you to systematically plan for a comfortable and respectable life after retirement.
In short, It’s the best tax efficient way for participants to save and invest for their retirement because as per Section 63 of the Income Tax Ordinance, you will be eligible for immediate Tax Credits for investments you make into MTPF. Tax Rebate can be claimed on up to 50% of one’s taxable income in a given financial year.
- Tax Efficient Pension Structure – MTPF is one of the most tax efficient pension plans available to investors domiciled in Pakistan.
- Upfront Tax Benefits – Participation in the Meezan Tahaffuz Pension Fund entitles participants to receive following tax benefits:
o Tax Credit1 on up to 20% of your taxable income. Additional catch-up incentives are provided to participants over 40 years, with a maximum tax credit on 50% of your taxable income for participants who are 55 years or older.
o Contributions made in MTPF, plus the investment income is accumulated Tax-free till retirement.
o Contributions made by employers on behalf of their employees are also exempt from tax. Whereas, in case of provident fund employer contribution beyond Rs.100,000 in a tax year is taxable now.
- Fully Yours – This is an individualized pension account and is in the name of the participant. Whether the contribution comes from the employer or the participant, the benefit of the investment goes to the participant. The benefit is not dependant on the length of employment or any other condition of employment.
- It’s Flexible, It’s Convenient – Choose to invest regularly through monthly, quarterly, half-yearly, yearly installments or contribute as and when you want, without any risk of penalties on missing payments.
- It’s Portable – Your pension account will stay with you (remember it’s all yours!) even when you change jobs. Contributions can be resumed at any time either through the new employer, your personal contribution or both. Unlike conventional employee benefit funds which get disbanded when an employee changes job, your account in MTPF stays intact and continues with or without the new employer. Moreover, you can transfer your pension account to another Pension Fund manager of your choosing as and when you like, again without any charge or penalty.
- Lump-sum Payment available on Retirement – On retirement, participants can withdraw up to 50% of the accumulated balance from their pension account, free of tax.
- Premature Retirement – Death or disability, as defined in VPS Rules is deemed as retirement. This entitles the nominees to encash 50% of the accumulated balance, again free of tax.
- Range of Investment Options – A variety of investment ‘allocation schemes’ to choose from and customized to suit specific needs and requirements of the participant.
- Free Takaful Cover3 - Free of cost Takaful protection against Natural Death, Accidental Death, Permanent Total Disability and Accidental Medical Expenses.
- Choose Your Retirement Age – A participant can select a retirement age between 60 and 70; and also change it at a later date, if he or she wants due to change of circumstances.
How the Fund Works?
- Contributions in MTPF are invested in various Shariah compliant instruments to earn Halal returns and build a corpus over the entire work life of the participant in accordance with the investment policy of MTPF.
- You can invest money regularly or make lump-sum payments as and when you want.
- You can choose from a wide range of investment options; the one that is most suitable for you will depend on your retirement goals, age and your appetite for risk. Your payments will be invested in the particular scheme that you choose with the aim of growing your individual pension account.